Decals are underway. Have to say I'm very happy with Whirlybirds' decals - a treat after the clownfight that was the 104's decals. These are thin, but tough and workable, and when they do settle, they melt over the copious raised detail on this kit.
I did a little test between Solvaset and AK Decal Adapter with some too-small roundels on the main sheet before I got started, just to see if I'd be walking into a trap. Happily both performed well. I ended up using the AK stuff on the kit because it literally saved me on the 104.
Still have the starboard side and several stencils to get to...but it's going well. Also find it funny how the tonal crush of the decals is making the medium sea gray seem darker.
Starboard side and filter box are done and decaled. Still have the blade stripes to do, but I realized last night that I still owe the underside of the blades a coat of Dark Sea Gray. So...those will come later.
The Sea King is still a thing! I've just been procrastinating on finishing up the decals - but finally got the rotor stripes on the other night, and started weathering last night. Still some ways to go in terms of weathering, adding small details like handholds, antennas, winch and the like, but it's transitioning into the home stretch I think.
Weathering is interesting because these things show a lot of gloss, but still an amount of crud likely associated with the exhaust. All of this is complicated by the vast quantity of raised detail. Working slowly...Deep Gray panel line wash on the mid-fuselage gray last night. More to come.
They are drooped, but it's subtle. Pretty subtle on the real ones, too, and thrown a bit with the forward pitch of the rotor head. It's kind of a nightmare to capture on the phone since the wide-ish angle messes it all up. This one captures it best, I think:
Been a bit distracted this month! Not only the Dauntless and work projects, but a pretty in-depth build review of Fly's 1/32 Hurricane (https://doogsmodels.com/2016/05/24/review-132-fly-hawker-hurricane-mk-iic/).
Somewhere in there, I also managed to drop a PE folder on the Sea King. Damage was shockingly light, but I snapped off two rotor blades and have been procrastinating since.
So last night, finally done with the Hurricane review, I got back to work. The rotor's been reconstituted thanks to some Tamiya Extra Thin:
And I got into the winch assembly, which is a fiddly and annoying piece of work! Basically you have the winch "pod", then three different support arms. These have to splay out pretty far (the instructions do a crap job of showing this) to seat into the proper holes on the fuselage. I glued the arms to the pod with TET, then after it started to set up, I pressure-fit them to the fuselage. Letting them cure overnight and I'm hoping to get to priming and painting tonight.
This one's very close to done - just needs some final details painted and installed. So of course it's supposed to rain all week!
Overall, definitely not my finest effort, but an interesting foray into subjects and scales that I don't normally play around with. And a great lesson to close the WIP drawer when heavy objects are in the vicinity!
Look for more pics in a forthcoming issue of Model Aircraft.