Post by 383 Silverado on Nov 10, 2016 11:55:03 GMT -5
Thank you sir. Been a while since I've seen you around Andy.
I spent about an hour and fifteen minutes yesterday morning not only riveting but also going over ALL of the other existing rivets and making them the same size as the ones I applied over the last two days to make everything look uniform. I've got mixed feelings but we'll see how it looks in the overall scheme of things. Fingers crossed.............................
No pics yet as it would be a waste of time. Will hopefully get rolling on this and post some worthwhile pictures soon.
Post by 383 Silverado on Dec 15, 2016 16:57:19 GMT -5
Thank you all for the encouragement on this bad boy. It's much appreciated .....especially when I have times at the bench like I've had for the last couple of days. I mean.........I pulled this next stunt off but it was a bit frustrating to me.
I finally opened up the Aires engine set because I'm at that point to where I want to work on the engine mounting for the starboard engine as that's the one I'll be displaying opened up. I was just getting over all the goodies in the kit (these engines look fabulous BTW) when I turned my attention to the instructions of how these beauties mount up to the wing. At first I wanted to put everything back in the box and move on.
You guys know about where I'm at with the build right now so you can imagine how I felt when I saw this in the instructions:
Yeah. That's what I said too.
I did, however , think about it over a cup of coffee and came up with this plan:
I took this:
and cut the locating pins off of the base and sanded the back side down until I was left with the center strip and the offset mounting hole, made all the cuts and holes in the wing like I was supposed to and inserted everything into the openings and holes in the wing from the outside.
The results? Something I think I can live with:
Ok.....made it past that hump! Movin' right along now.................................
Oh man, that would've been a showstopper but a little creative thinking saves the day!
Thanks Bill. I've been throwing all of my efforts in my OOB VW bus build so I can hurry up and just get that one knocked out so I can go back to work on the Arado and the modded VW. Don't worry...............I'll be back on this one pretty soon.
Post by 383 Silverado on Aug 8, 2017 11:59:24 GMT -5
Thought I'd switch back over to this one again.
Lot's of cutting and sanding going on as of late. I've got the port side engine pod minus all the panels about ready though. I still have some sanding and filling to do at the front and rear but I feel fairly good about the progress so far.......it's just taking forever to get anywhere past all the cutting. lol
Cut and sectioned out:
I cut the center strip out of the left over engine pod root and got the halves glued together:
I didn't foresee being able to paint the engine air intake area on the starboard closed up engine uniformly so I cut the starter assy out of the center of the air intake to paint it and will reinstall it after painting:
Post by Prop Duster on Aug 14, 2017 23:27:24 GMT -5
Good Looking aircraft. I am sure that this will be another master work of your skills.
Of course after you get all the parts glued together you have to apply one of your famous paint jobs. In keeping with the history of the aircraft, I would recommend a Artic Ice Ultraflake for the lower side, Then for the upper camo a combination of Candy Lowrider Green Metallic with Candy Copper Metallic. Then apply the decals and a final clear gloss coat of wet look clear. This should get the judges attention at your next model show
I made the perfect model! ...then I woke up....Oh, DARN