Great idea there Rich - a little late I know but a similar technique which works well is to put the whole model into one of those stretchy mesh bags that you get 3 onions or similar in or the little bags for detergent tablets for yer washer
Nice job fella :}
If yer think yer one in a million, chances are, YOU AIN'T!
This is what i came up with....... i decided to reuse the same PE grill and mask out a series of digi patterns into it. This was much quicker and the whole thing came together in about half an hour.
i did 2 lots of pattern with the thought of using one pattern for one colour and and the second for a differant colour.... not sure if that makes too much difference but in my head it seemed to be a good idea... ;D
so thats as far as i got with it today....hope to try it out tomorrow...
models 12 013 by Brembo2012, on Flickr the initial colour used was a Tamiya acrylic light grey, once again on the thin side. Same MO as with the weave pattern, work around the model in a progressive manner laying in blocks one at a time. finding a balance between placement and 'shape of block' is the key. just judging by eye seemed to work fine.
The final colour laid in was matt black. i did try a couple of blocks in buff but decided not to run with this colour as it was too similar to the light grey. its hard to see the black in this pic as the flash washes it out a bit, but it is there...
problems to be solved;
Overspray- Even with care i had to retouch 4 areas. This meant respraying the base colour and then re-applying the base weave pattern. not a biggie...but keeping the mesh hard up against the surface whilst holding the figure, mesh and airbrush mean't i was often one hand short!
Paint Ratio: keeping colours on the thin side lead to a few cases of...splat .... another reason for the re touches and easily cured.)
So from here im moving on to brush painting and starting on adding the detail to his body armour and personal webbing. Then there's the weapons, head and hands to deal with...
next were the hands which were pre positioned on the weapon prior to installation. A test fit is critical here, to get things lined up. i can't recommend gluing the hands on to the body first, as this creates too many painting and weapon fitting issues. the head also came in for some attention here using GW dwarf flesh as the base skin colour.
night stalker will be fitted to this base, groundwork to be built up, i just had to test fit the chain saw to see what that might potentially look like...(straps to be fitted still)...and seeing as i had a spare head i think this might find its way into the groundwork some how....
The plan is to do an urban scene, the 'rubble of civilization' kinda theme. so ive assembled what i need: some milliput to do the base ground and some cast plaster rubble (broken up from a pavement section).
once themilliput was laid out, it was cut to size on the base and then night stalker was carefully fitted into position and pressed down to make a couple of good footmarks. make sue you pre wet the feet so they dont stick to the soft milliput.(otherwise it may pull it up)
model base 003 by Brembo2012, on Flickr shows the foot marks and the milliput ground base, its flat ish but not dead flat...most of it gets covered up anyway.
model base 004 by Brembo2012, on Flickr larger rubble went on first, with the cut down arm strategically posited as well. its important to keep the rubble placement as random as possible. and to keep the footwells clear.
model base 006 by Brembo2012, on Flickr once the rubble was laid i re tested the night stalker for fit, its easier to adjust it while everthings still soft. i had to adjust a couple of smaller pieces close to the foot marks, but nothing major.
once i was happy with the fit it was put aside to let the milliput set. i will check this tomorrow to ensure all parts are secure and if so i can start on painting the base and completing the groundwork.
the nightstalker also had his chainsaw attached. i used lead foil for the strap and some PE buckles for the attachment points. getting the belt length correct for the right drape of the saw was fun...... i also opted for a full carbon fibre look to the helmet so that got a coat of enamel smoke clear over the initial mesh pattern.