1/24th scale simulated stone building Apr 4, 2013 18:51:13 GMT -5
Post by Ray Dunakin on Apr 4, 2013 18:51:13 GMT -5
To simulate the look of rolled roofing, I cut a large Tyvek envelope into strips and glued them to the roof of the building. Then I sealed with acrylic gesso. (This is the stuff used to prime artist's canvas.) I made an access hatch from scraps of PVC foam board, cut away the Tyvek, and glued the hatch in place. I also cut the Tyvek from the spot where the smokejack will be mounted:
The smokejack was made from brass tubes and a block of PVC, sheathed with thin styrene. I also made a vent pipe:
At last, I could move on to painting. I sprayed the structure with a light coat of white primer.
The first thing I would need is a good "concrete" color for the mortar. To me, concrete has always been a tricky color to match. We tend to think of it as being gray, but aged concrete is usually more of a very light brown, often with a slightly greenish tint.
To aid in getting the color as accurate as possible, I took a small piece of old concrete to the hardware store and had them scan it on their color matching system. Part of the problem with concrete is that it's not a uniform color, but rather speckled. This can also make it difficult to match with the digital system. The color they came up with was pretty close, but too dark. So I mixed in some white paint. Here's the concrete sample with some of the paint dabbed on at the bottom end:
This looked pretty close so I decided to go with it, and painted the side of the building. I thinned it with water so it would go on thin and not clog up all the texture details I had so laboriously created. On the building, it seemed even darker:
I went ahead and painted a few of the stones, to get a better idea of how it would look. The next morning I took the model outside and photographed it on the concrete patio:
In this closeup photo, the "concrete" paint seems to match the real concrete pretty well, but as miniature mortar, it just didn't look right to my eye. I also wasn't very happy with the painted stones:
So I added some more white to the "concrete" paint, and brushed it on over the first coat. I had to use a fine-tipped artist's brush to paint the mortar between the painted rocks. When this dried I retouched the rocks, and painted more of the rocks. Here's another closeup shot on the patio. As you can see, the revised paint is lighter than the real concrete, at least in the photo, but to me it works better as miniature mortar:
Here's a closeup of the stones. I found that the key to making them look right is not to use a single, solid color on each rock. They need some variation. And in this case, where there will be a real stone wall next to the model building, it was crucial to match the real rocks as closely as possible. In this shot you can see just how much detail I painted into each stone:
This next photo shows the building temporarily in place on the foundation. Although the real stone wall is in shadow, you can still see how closely I was able to match the look on my painted stone wall:
Here's a closer view:
That's all for now, more later. Enjoy!