The F4D Skyray in 1/48 scale by Tamiya of course. A bit of a departure from my usual wingy things. This one doesn't have a prop. The F4D was by by Douglas and was a direct descendent of the studies and delta wing designs of Alexander Lippisch. The Ford had a very short service life from the mid 50's into 1964 and never saw warfare. Always thought it was a cool looking jet and since I haven't built a jet for about 30 years, figured with Tamiya, I had the best shot of turning out a halfway decent model.
Started off with some ordnance so I would decide to use kit stock of if I needed to go with aftermarket. One of the cool features of the designers since the need for in flight refueling was in it's infancy was to incorporate the refueling probe into one of the drop tanks. Not having high expectations of the final result, I'm going with the kit parts for now. After ordnance I worked on the vertical tail and built up the cockpit. As usual, I wanted to replace the seat but found there is not an aftermarket seat available but the F3 Demon seat was very close. Since the canopy framing will hide much of the office, I went with it instead.
Next up, the fuselage halves are top and bottom. I added the cockpit, filled the nose with BB'sand glued it together then added the hard points and landing gear. Vertical control was done with elevons next to the tail cone. After assembly, I sprayed the panel lines to give some depth to the gray upper surfaces later on.
At this stage I'm pretty pleased. The kit so far has not showed any problems. More to come.
A little progress on the 'ol Ford: Well, I'll be the first to admit, distractions have really interrupted progress on the Ford. Been a bit of a struggle feeling like even touching a bottle of paint. Hope this funk passes soon. Kinda had to force myself to get going again.
Got the vertical stabilizer and nose section together. Loaded the nose with weight to make sure she sat properly. Painted the air intakes white prior to attaching the nose attachment.
Insignia white on the expansive belly.
Masked the ailerons and sprayed the Light Sea Gray on the uppers. Not as pleased with the result on top. Paint was a bit grainy, no doubt sprayed from to far and it began drying before hitting the surface. I thinned the paint a bit more than usual and cranked down the air pressure. Gave the top a light sanding with 4K and 8K sand mesh to knock it back. Surface is smooth once more.
The intake was a bit tricky with paint. Applied Insignia White overall then a piece of 18mm Tamiya tape vertical and ype across the opening to get gray and white separation.
Finished this session up with a bit of work on some ordnance to be ready for the next urge to get some paint flying. That's it for this small update. Thanks for stopping by. Rick