Well, there are two things to contend with here....first being that I can't really let Rob have all the fun on this one! Second, and a much bigger one, how does one follow up what he is doing with his rail cars? Damn Brotha'!!
As slightly more feeble attempt, I jumped on getting my rail car situated. As a real short recap, this is where I left off with cutting the new wood for the decking a while back.
I did finish cutting all the sticks but needed to push on a bit with the car itself. That was the easy part!
Next was getting it to look like something I was thinking of...
Yes, bent! LOL! I know a couple of you know exactly what I am thinking of now, but for those who do not...
So I tossed around some primer and paint to get the ball rolling again...
Remember that wood? Pulled the plastic deck I wasn't going to use out and used it as a template to lay the wood out and work on.
I decided to attack the wood in a slightly different approach. I started things off with airbrushing some Model Wash.
After that is was layering following with some scrubbing....
Again, little layers to keep the fires going...
I think it came out okay.
A little bit of grey knocked around on the frame and I started to get things together.
I have a bunch of hit and tag weathering to go on this, but "shaping" up for the moment! With any luck, I might actually break out something resembling a tank soon.
Thanks Andy and Leon! You guys didn't pick up a copy of my cookbook? Pg. 27 - The Rail Turnover: Place the model upside down on a sheet of wax paper in a large cookie sheet (preferably not one of the good ones the wife uses all the time, bake at 200o F for 3 to 6 minutes, or until soft. Use a small bottle left in the recycling bin to gently bend the rail car.
LOL...very controlled Andy. I don't take my eyes off of it. Only a couple minutes is all it takes. I have used this before with styrene sheet stock I wanted curved. Wrapped the thin stock around a dowel, tape into place and bake for a couple minutes. Let it cool and the part takes on the curved shape nicely.
Wow...it has been a long time since this subject(s)came up! About a week or so ago, I decided to pick my end of the rail duel build between Rob and I, up again! With my rail car more or less finished, I cracked the lid on the Pz. IV kit and began some destruction...
All about the snipping! Here is a look at what things look like when I am out of control building! With almost too much bench space, I somehow end up in the tiny square footage of my mat at the kitchen table! LOL
A little pushing...prodding, CA, Gator Glue, MEK, Solder and blind luck, basic construction was finished a couple days ago.
This wreck, if you remember from the beginning of this duel, is based on a picture of a knocked out Pz.IV on a rail car that bend under the heat. This happen to fit in nicely for the theme at the upcoming AMPS Nationals I thought! The theme is building ...from a picture!
A little mock up before bringing this thing into the booth to paint the interior...
Don't mind the radio man's hatch laying atop transmission inspection cover...that is one of those part that falls into the wrong spot during pic taking! LOL
The other day, I started a two threads for two other projects that went to the booth for priming along with this one! So if you read either of those threads....this would be the third painting project on the go right now!
Time to get busy and dig into interior coloring.....thanks for stopping by! I bet, if you wish very hard on the first start you see tonight, we might actually see Rob's end of this show up soon too!
Looks like the painting gods have been smiling upon me lately, allowing me some time to sling a little color!
I won't bore you with too much unnecessary babble about the processes right now...but it is sufficed to say that after the black primer, several tonal rust applications were applied followed by pigment and selective wsh applications leaving me with....
Sadly, or fortunately...depending on how you look at it , most of this probably will be unseen with out direct light, but for what can, it is there! Time to put some things back together now and get this back into the booth for exterior priming!
Thanks Joel! I am certainly having a bit of fun on this one! I enjoy the painting weathering, far more than the building...LOL I would agree with your assessment. There are only two main steel beams making up the structure of these rail cars. Not to mention this was not a typical flat car used to carry a 50+ ton tank around. Seeing the lower end blown down, I have to guess after the hit, there was some cooking off of fuel. This particular picture is not the best quality...but there is a small chunk taken out of the web of the steel beam as well...add it all together....sag!