Well, shes not letting me down. Airfix didnt put any attachment points on the hull.... the 5 piece hull. Three tries to get it right...tried glue, super glue, mr surfacer and liquid glue..which promptly seperated every time.
finally decided to try the top hull and the sides with tenar 7x, and that sofar has produced this...
got the whole thing tacked down with the Tenar 7x, but was left with this to clean up.... Plan is to insert some 010 strip in there to fill the big part of the hole, cut it to shape and put some grey tamiya putty on the rest..... the bottom of the hull should be a joy.... (sarcasm)
Good Lord! Do you have access to gasoline and a box of matches?
LOL based on some of the things I have read about this kit it might come to that. For the moment though, I consider it a good reason to practice seam filling, gap closing, and scratch building ( because the instruction sheets just about useless for sensible building).
Did I mention in the beginning that I am impatient???
I did all the initial sanding, put on a coat of Testors primer, then hit that with some AV grey primer. Found some more spots that needed re-puttying and more sanding.. but couldnt wait for the putty to dry so started throwing some color on.....
Tomorrow, hopefully the rest of the paints will be here and I can sand all that gunk off and finish painting the hull.
Oh yeah, Im not the only one with a hobby. My very pregnant fiance ( who is nesting) made these while I was at work...
Well, progress continues slowly. My latest frustration is with the waterline painting. I made the mistake of painting by hand. The build continues with alot of filing and fitting. Hopefully theres a solution to this paint problem aside from starting over!
Post by John Everett on Nov 26, 2014 9:58:16 GMT -5
Despite all the trouble, the hull has a very pleading shape. The full interior is also a nice inclusion. But it does look like you're going to need a few cans of spray paint if you want the cleanest possible waterline.
More lessons in frustrating as I build the superstructure. The fit is not good, it requires almost single point gluing, allowing the glue to set firmly, then gluing another point. The multiple parts dont help. I am convinced it will be done, but I am also questioning myself where the leftover fireworks are....
Here you can see some of the points I had to apply putty to to make the corners appear seamless
You can see here the lack of squareness.... All of these parts will have to be glued together, one point at a time to get it right
In order to get the back wall and side walls to fit the way they do, I had to do ALOT of sanding on the back wall and interior parts to get them to fit wihtout too much pressure.
Another quick update- with a mistake or two in for good measure. So, I didnt apply paints correctly somehow, and my acrylics were coming off with the tape mask.... very nasty... SO, I was able to scrape the side that it did it on down with just my thumbnail and a little alcohol ( not the drinking kind)
This is what it looked like.
Then I painted it again and masked it ... and this is the result!!
You can see in the white stripe, that the paint came off there too, but I will just brush paint that out.
you know that moment, when you're looking at reference photos you have looked at 100 times, and you realize you put a pretty big set of parts on backwards, have already filled them in with putty and made sure they wont move??? bout 15 minutes ago.
Sorry to hear about the revears-angled-instructional-extravaganza!! It happens!! Been there too many time!! Sounds like you have things well in control now after we spoke!! Looking forward to seeing the next update!!
I guess a small update would be in order. So, with this build following directions has been a bit of a challenge. Sometimes if you follow them, you make life more difficult down the line.... well this time... I was following directions, but not paying close enough attention to the orientation of two big parts. They are oriented correctly in this picture, but as you can see it aint pretty
I had glued them in 180' the wrong way. Fortunately they are now correctly seated. Also, I finished painting the hull sides for the second time and sealed it with clear enamel.
superstructure is drying as we speak (glue) and I hope to shoot that tonight.