More time spent today impersonating Darth Vader with the breather mask in order to continue the hull weathering process. Using a pointed 18/0 brush, i applied a pin wash of MM enamel Burnt Umber to the rivet lines and hull plates on the dark gray areas.
This was tightened up using a small square tip 10/0 blender brush lightly dampened with clean thinner.
3 hours later more or less and I had one hull side done.
Very cool job so far Bill, you really make them details pop !
Thanks AG! The hull halves were molded as mirrors of each other so it's kind of interesting working on the opposite side today since everything is reversed in terms of the 'grain' in the way the plates and rivets are molded.
More fun with the breather mask today meant I was able to get the rest of the pin wash work on the dark gray portion done on the port side.
That meant I could turn my attention back to the hull red areas. I mixed up a wash using roughly 90/10 thinner/Flat Brown (the little square bottle Testors enamel color) and applied it with the same 18/0 pointed brush used on the gray portions.
Same drill in terms of tightening it up with the 10/0 square blender brush and now the starboard side is completely weathered.
Ran out of hours in the day, so tomorrow will get the port side red done and then I think it will be time to seal it all up and get it mounted permanently on the stand.
LOL...getting past step one is always exciting! What a fine looking hull!! Some excellent variations!! And that's without the medicinal aid of paint thinner!
Thanks Todd! The buddy I'm building this for stopped by for burgers and to see how it was coming along and was quite happy, always a good sign. Things should move a little faster now build-wise as the hull was definitely the main event on this baby.
After spending 3 weeks working on the main hull, I can say that stage is now firmly done. I applied some MM Lusterless Flat via the spray can to seal in all the paint and weathering work done so far. It also knocked down some of the residual Future gloss and unified the hull in the process.
The main deck consists of 3 separate parts so I removed those from the sprue and cleaned them up so I could do a test fit with the main hull to be sure I wouldn't encounter any problems down the road after it was permanently installed on the stand.
Everything plays nice with a snug fit into the hull, there will be some small gaps at the stern that I will need to address but nothing major. The wood decks will cover over the joins in the three sections so that's also not a concern.
I mounted the hull onto the stand posts and added the locking nuts. These were gently tightened and CA added to the top of the threads to secure them in place. I added a drop of CA accelerator and another dose of CA to cap it all off. That meant I could finally move on to Step 2!
Each of the deck portions has a raised planking pattern molded in place, so that had to go to allow the wood deck veneers a smooth and even surface to adhere to. This was sanded down with a sanding stick and the tighter spaces dealt with using a combination of smaller sanding sticks and the back edge of a #11 blade to gently scrape away the pattern.
Once that was done, the ten 5-inch guns that I had assembled earlier were snapped into position in their casemates.
Still plenty to do in Step 2 in terms of getting the deck side plates cleaned-up and ready for installation and adding other details.