Under 40 minutes? Wow. You've got me beat! A lot of these needed drilling...so many that I just drilled out each pair as I put them together. They're also the smallest ones I've done so far which made them a bit more difficult.
Would still like to see the jig for future reference, though!
I have been using the Track Wire from ArmorFarm. It does cost $12.50 for just some lengths of wire but they are straight, there is enough to do at least 4 to five sets and best of all strong enough to push right through the soft white metal. I am sure I could dig up something free or even cheaper to use but the cost and readiness of the product outweighs the time and effort in making my own...quick and dirty!!
Marc...would love to see the jig you made!! Sound like a real time saver!!
The first set of pics it a basic toot I did a while back. Coincidentally for a (t) chassis. Made of balsa, it was nothing more than wood strip glued to a wider one. 3M double stick (ds) tape is laid down and it hold the track pretty secure. On this one you can both runs at once, one on each side of the center piece. Since they are held in place it's easy to set the bit depth and then go down the length of the track drilling one after another.. Precut the wire a bit long, or use the wire T used, jam 'em into the hole and go back with aside cutter and Bob's uncle, Fruils in no time at all.
This is one for Jagdtiger tracks, again with the ds tape and a square starting point.
Tracks with a single guide tooth can be stuck into a slot made by the balsa strips. As before use the ds tape. This jig has 2 sides, the other being good for a track with a double row of teeth like the (t) above. Below the empty jig pics it is being used for T-55 tracks.
Last Edit: Dec 1, 2014 14:58:58 GMT -5 by wing_nut
Only a few links in the track Jeff!! LOL!! I know what you meant...the GB doesn't really have an end date per se...if you are thinking of joining in, have at it!! These guys are nuts and crazy fast!! I still have a ways to go brotha!!
Awesome little jig there Marc! Well played...thanks for sharing!
Well since things were not too well defined in the time frame Dupes, we are still kind of open ended. Not talking 6 months open ended...just a little leeway. We only just started and the more the merrier...plenty of time I think.
Dang Dupes, those fruils look great. I've been messin' with the MagicTracks that came with my kit and I am not loving them. I can either do a lot of time consuming cleanup, or the runs just keep popping apart as I try to add to them. Looked at fruils, but DAMN you are right - expensive. MKs are an option too, but not much cheaper. I may just suck it up and commit to an OOB build and work with what I've got.
I'm nowhere near as fast as dupes, or T, or Wing_nut. Hell, I guess I'm the tortoise in this race, but I am getting stuff done.
The Dragon instructions are a little weird - they have you put stuff on that needs to precisely line up with something you don't put on for two or three additional steps. Where possible, I've tried to avoid that, so there are lots of little bits that are in a cup next to the build, waiting to be paired up with their other halves, so to speak.
Nonetheless, I'm about done with the exterior. Had some trouble with the rear end. The sides were not vertical, which is no big deal, but the bottom was too narrow as well:
It did cause me a moment or two of stress, but then I grabbed my trusty micro-chisel and was able to shave things down so they fit pretty well. Minus the swipe that took a slice from my finger, a pretty successful fix!
I built up the smoke grenade launcher. I considered leaving the top off (like T) since with it on all the nice detail is hidden, but then decided to just close it up. Since the attachment points are pretty small (and I forgot to drill holes before I mounted the rear) it will stay off until close to completion so I don't knock it off a dozen or so times:
Next were the fenders. I was really, Really, REEEEALLY tempted to go the Griffon route for these, but opted to just go with what was in the box. Filed things down a bit to try to get a better scale effect, the mounted them:
The lower part of the front of the hull was done as well. Not a great pic, but again, this was one of those spots where I cannot figure out what Dragon was thinking. If I'd have followed the instructions, the front hangers for the fenders would have made it nearly impossible to get the front of the hull into position. As it was, it took some jiggering to get it over all the cast detail without wreckin' it!
Next steps deal with the transmission and interior. Hope to get to it tonight, but more likely to be tomorrow.
I am so weak i wasn't going to do it but the urge to splurge was too great. I found the Voyager set PE35122 for $20 w/free shipping on EBay. For the fenders and MG's I'm happy but there are other thing that will bump it up a notch. Threw in some extra bucks for the US Marine Toys for Tots drive too. I am a sucker for that stuff when I think about kids going without at this time of year.
Just realized that I hadn't commented on all of your bits of jiggery. This is MOST excellent! Definitely going to have to use these ideas on my next set of Friuls - this has the one-at-a-time method beat hands down!